Types of Gifts

Share this page by email


Bequests can be directed to an area of your choice or left unrestricted to allow CancerCare Manitoba Foundation to apply them to the area of most need. Your estate will benefit from a tax receipt equal to the amount of any gifts to charity. Up to 100 per cent of your net income can be claimed in charitable donations in the year of death and the preceding year.

Outright gifts

A donation of cash or other assets such as stock, real estate or personal property. Outright gifts include cash, securities (stocks and bonds), real estate, tangible personal property, matching gifts and gifts-in-kind.


Stocks, bonds, and mutual funds are a great way to provide a gift to CancerCare Manitoba Foundation while avoiding the tax on capital gains.

You can donate shares during your lifetime or in a Will. Charitable tax receipts are issued for the end-of-day trading value on the date of the transfer of ownership. For testamentary gifts of shares, the charitable tax receipt is based on the value of the shares at the date of death. Please find attached Securities Transfer Form and contact information should you require additional information.


Life insurance

Life insurance can help ensure a family’s financial security after a death, and it can also be used as part of a financial plan to accomplish a substantial gift to CancerCare Manitoba Foundation while preserving the value of your estate for your family.

There are three common options available to benefit your estate planning while helping to achieve philanthropic goals: donation of an existing policy, purchase of a new policy, or designating the Foundation as the beneficiary of an existing policy.

Donated life insurance policies are eligible for charitable tax receipts based on the fair market value of the policy. Tax receipts are also issued for ongoing premium payments on donated policies.


Real estate

There are various ways to donate real estate property: an outright gift, by way of the residual interest, as a gift in a Will or to fund a charitable remainder trust. Gifts of property to CancerCare Manitoba Foundation will be sold.

The proceeds of the sale, less any costs incurred by the Foundation in undertaking the gift, will be directed toward the use agreed upon between the donor and t CancerCare Manitoba Foundation. For outright gifts of real estate, charitable tax receipts are issued based on the appraised fair market value of the donated property.



An individual may create a trust in which all or a part of their assets are left to CancerCare Manitoba Foundation when the trust terminates. Trusts can be established using cash, bonds, securities, real estate or other appreciable assets. You or your family may receive the income from the trust until it terminates.

Charitable Remainder Trusts receive a charitable tax receipt upon their creation based on the future value of the amount to be left to CancerCare Manitoba Foundation when the trust terminates. Other trusts receive tax receipts when we receive the assets.

Proceeds from Registered Accounts

It is possible, easy and can help preserve your estate value to make donations through beneficiary designations on your RRSP or RRIF savings. You will receive a charitable tax receipt for the value of your gift to be used on your final tax return. Also, naming a beneficiary other than your estate removes these assets from probate and executor fees.


A charitable gift annuity is an arrangement under which you make a contribution to CancerCare Manitoba Foundation and receive guaranteed payments for life. When the contribution is made to the Foundation, we will retain a portion of it, either for present use or to build a future endowment – depending on your wishes – and a charitable tax receipt will be issued to you for the retained amount.

The balance will be used to purchase (through a licensed insurance company) an annuity that pays the agreed rate of return to you. The payments, which may be tax-free depending on your age, can be made to you on a monthly, quarterly, semi-annual or annual basis.

For more information please visit the Canada Revenue Agency website.